What matters is you’re exercising often with physical activity such as cardio or aerobic exercise and doing it right to gain the best health and fitness benefits for optimal weight loss and fat burning. The only challenging part of exercising at home is the motivation to go about it or include it in your daily routine to get that heart rate pumping and rid that belly fat.
Can I lose weight from at home workouts ?
A study in the US National Library of Medicine monitored the impact of at home workouts undertaken over a 12 week period with a diet and confirmed significant fat loss was achieved, with notable reductions in circumferences of the hip, arm, thigh, chest and waist.
You can lose weight from at home workouts and achieve significant fat loss following a home workout training plan and a balanced diet.
What exercise burns the most belly fat ?
A study in the National Institute of Health examined the impact of training intensity on belly fat. It found that high intensity training resulted in significant reduction in belly fat (both visceral and subcutaneous fat) compared with low intensity exercise training.
The most effective exercise for burning belly fat is High Internal Intensity Training. Research has confirmed it is effective at reducing both visceral and subcutaneous fat around the abdominal area.
Best 10 Best Home Exercises to Lose Weight
Are you ready to start on six exercises for weight loss you can easily do on the hard floor of your home without using any equipment and still burn fat ?
Doing 15 to 20 reps on each of these workout routines, while gradually adding and adjusting sets and repetitions as you listen to your body, will readily meet your weight loss and health fitness goals:
When it comes to strengthening the core muscle groups, the plank position is a phenomenal exercise that offers several benefits:
- Core muscle strengthening
- Supports proper posture
- Increase muscle definition
- Works on hamstrings and glutes
- Improves balance
Looking at the plank position makes it look easy. However, looks can be deceiving for doing it properly means to hold the trunk portion of your body in a straight line, off the ground, and keep at it for 20 seconds.
How to do a simple plank exercise:
- Get up in a push up position and lower both forearms on the floor (your forearms are going to be your support)
- With arms and elbows on the floor, shoulder width apart, straighten your body as you push the upper back to achieve a straight line
- Your body should all be in line form head to your tailbone, head and neck in neutral position
- Place your chin close to the neck area as if you’re holding something between them
- While in this position, simultaneously contract or squeeze the muscles of your stomach, the muscles of the outer and inner thighs and tailbone
- Don’t forget to breathe normally as you hold this position for 20 seconds at the least
- give yourself a few seconds to relax before you rinse and repeat
One of the natural and best ways to tone the body is squats making it one the best bodyweight exercises. Squatting is a normal daily activity we all perform from tying shoelaces to picking up something from the floor. The only difference is by using the proper posture when doing squats to reap its benefits.
Health and fitness benefits gained from squats:
- More muscle growth gained from squats also burns more calories
- Leg strength, crucial for maintaining balance and mobility
- Improves flexibility to the hips and ankles, thereby preventing injuries
- Great exercise to tone the entire body, specifically the abdominal muscles, lower back, hamstrings and glutes
How to properly do squats:
- Stand with the feet shoulder-width apart
- With knees and feet aligned, straighten your back and have your chin up slightly
- engage your core muscle groups to protect your lower back
- Slowly bend, where you feel comfortable, towards a 90-degree angle as you lower ankles, hips, and knees (press the weight through your heels and you may want to wear running shoes for comfort and control)
- Return to normal position and repeat for 15–20 reps for three sets
3. Hip Raise
The hip raise may be an underrated exercise because it is so easy to do. Yet, the best trainers in the world consider this an essential exercise for everyone to do. The benefits gained from the hip raise include:
- Good strength training for the core muscle groups of the body
- Great strength training for the glutes of the body. The glutes are the most powerful and largest muscle group of the body. Prolonged sitting can weaken these muscles which can tilt your pelvis forward, pushing out your belly.
How to properly do the hip raise:
- Lie back on a hard surface with feet flat on the floor and bent knees
- Place your arms at a 45-degree angle by your sides
- Contract your core muscle groups by tightly squeezing your glutes
- Form a straight line from knees to shoulder by raising your hips
- Your upper legs should form 90 degree angles to your lower legs
- Hold the position with contracted glutes for five seconds
- Return to the starting position and repeat
- Aim to do 3 sets of 15 reps
4. Incline Pushup
The classic pushup is a user-unfriendly workout for beginners. However, the incline pushup workout is a versatile and easier home workout that also offers you to build muscle of the triceps, the upper chest and shoulders as the classic pushup which makes it one of the best bodyweight exercises.
How to properly do the incline pushup:
- Place your hands on any raised surface such as the steps of the stairs, a box, etc.
- Assume a pushup position as you keep the body rigid, bend your elbows as you slowly lower your chest until it is below the elbows
- Push back to starting position and repeat
- Try to do 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
5. Jump Rope
The best way to increase the flow of the blood and beating of the heart is to jump rope. Feel like a kid again as you do this simple but very helpful exercise. What benefits can you gain from this workout?
- It’s a fun way of burning calories
- Focusing on your feet also improves body coordination
- Improves heart health
- Refines breathing
- Improves density of the bones
- Mental booster to greatly improve memory and reading skills
- Reduces stress and anxiety
The best thing about this exercise is that it does not need proper technique to do it correctly. Simply purchase a jumping rope, choose the best spot in the home, and you’re good to go. Jumping up and down should be made a part of the exercise routine to gain its best benefits. For this exercise there is really no sets or reps, you set your timer or do it until failure.
The old-fashioned burpee is one of the most effective bodyweight workout exercises for weight loss that burns calories like crazy. Most of us have not very fond memories about doing them at school. Well, now is the time to dust them off and put them to use to help you to lose weight fast.
Here is how to perform burpees:
Stand with hands at your sides and your feet hip width apart. Now slowly yourself to the ground and get into a bottom push up position, kicking your legs back and placing your palms on the floor. Perform a single push up and then jump your feet in to the level of your hands. The final part of the movement involves jumping back to the start position.
7. High Knees
The high knees exercise is a challenging exercise done under high intensity over a short period of time resulting in a significant burn of calories which is ideal for weight loss. This workout can be done anywhere including from home.
How to do High Knees:
- Start in a standing position with your hands to the side and your legs shoulder width apart.
- Raise you hands in front of you at waist height.
- In a running motion raise your knees on the spot, you should try to raise them to touch your hands which are at waist height.
8. Jumping Jacks
Jumping jacks are a great bodyweight weight exercise that can be done anywhere and when done under high intensity will results in a significant weight loss.
How to do Jumping Jacks
- Stand with your arms to the side and your legs together,
- Keeping your knees slightly bent, jump upwards.
- As you jump upwards swing your arms upwards and over your head and spread your legs outwards to shoulder level.
- On the way down go back to the starting position.
- This is one rep. Repeat to complete you set.
Lunges are a great exercise for weight loss as they workout out the largest muscle groups in the lower body. They also are a body weight exercise which can be done anywhere.
How to do Lunges
- Begin by standing with your feet apart in line with your hips.
- Step backward with one leg until your leg is at a 90 degree angle and then bring back to the starting position. Remember to keep you core engaged and to maintain your upright form.
- Repeat with the other leg.
10. Bird Dog
The bird dog are a great exercise which can be done under high intensity and results in significant calorie burn. As a bodyweight exercise they can also be done anywhere.
How to do the Bird Dog
- Start on all fours in a tabletop stance.
- Your hands should be under the shoulders and the knees aligned with the hips.
- Raise you left leg and right arm together and hold for a few seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Raise you right leg and left arm together and hold for a few seconds.
- This completes one set,
Putting It All Together
You have now got 10 awesome fat burning weight loss exercises. You can get in a great interval training bodyweight workout that will torch your body fat while also getting you super fit.
Interval training involves a series of high intensity workouts with period of rest. You will notice that you do skipping after every one of the other four exercises. That allows you to shunt from an aerobic to and aerobic exercise quickly and efficiently. You will be raising your metabolism not only while you are working out but for up to 24 hours afterwards. That is because of the after-burn effect, which sees your body needing to work harder to supply oxygen to your cells after the workout.
Stick with this great series of strength and bodyweight workout exercises for 6 weeks.
A Word About Nutrition
Working out to lose weight is great. But it is just one part of the equation. And it is not even the most important part. What you put into your mouth is the most important part. You may have heard the expression ‘You can’t out train a bad diet.’ That is why you need to cut back on what you eat and reduce your intake of simple carbohydrate foods that are loaded with sugar and processed ingredients that lead to fat gain. If you are a soda drinker, cutting it out and replacing it with water can help you to lose around a pound of fat a week by itself!
You May Also Like: Best Way to Lose Chest Fat for Men
As you can see, there are a lot of bodyweight exercises for weight loss to do at home, you can also combine them for interval training which is very effective for fat burning. An exercise routine does not have to be expensive for you to achieve the best results. The determination to do it every day eventually makes it a habit that quickly provides the weight—loss and fitness goals you have in mind. Therefore, motivating yourself every day does not have to be a chore when the ultimate challenge is to maintain optimum lifetime health.
For additional articles on exercises you can do at home please read the following articles on our site: The Best 10-minute Abdominal and Oblique Exercises to Do at Home , 5 Quick Home Workout Routines for Women, How to Do a Proper Form Push-ups and Other Push-up Variations and How To Start a Weight Training for Beginners at Home
Other Questions Readers Ask
How do I make exercise a habit?
Everyone knows exercising is essential to maintain a healthy and fit body. However, a lot of us struggles to stay consistent with our training. Here are six mental tricks that will help you make exercise a habit —
- Maintain a training journal
- Start with small steps
- Set realistic goals
- Skip boring routine and start having fun with the workout
- Get a training partner to keep yourself accountable
- Plan ahead to make time for your workout
Can walking reduce tummy fat?
Even though walking is not the most brutal form of exercise, it is an excellent way to burn off some calories and reduce stress. Even though you cannot spot reduce fat in your body, walking helps you reduce overall body fat by burning more calories.
A 30 minutes long walk can burn up to 150 calories and significantly improve your appearance. You can take a half an hour-long walk on top of your daily workout for the best results.
Does walking reduce thigh fat?
Walking is one of the best cardiovascular exercises that can help you reduce your overall body fat by burning off calories. Brisk walking improves your metabolic rate, therefore, makes your body store less fat.
Additionally, walking also helps you tone your legs by reducing thigh fat. It also works your calves, hamstring, quads, and glutes.
Is walking better than running?
Walking and running, without any doubt, are two of the best forms of exercise. However, they come with their own benefit. In terms of accessibility, walking is often considered superior to running as nearly anyone can do it in any shape or fitness level.
Walking offers almost the same benefit as running, except you can burn more calories by running than by walking. You can also try speed or power walking, which combines the benefits of the two.
What exercise burns the most fat?
There are endless forms of exercises out there that you can do to gain strength, build muscles, and lose fat. If your goal is to shed fat fast, these are the most effective exercises —
- HIIT: High-Intensity Interval Training or HIIT is the most effective way to burn fat. This intense form of aerobic training can help you burn fat by elevating your heart rate and increasing metabolic rate for up to 24-hours post-training.
- Boxing: As boxing sessions on average burn over 1000 calories, it is another sure-fire way to burn fat fast.
- Weight and Resistance Training: Weight training in moderate to high intensity burns calories and improves body composition and metabolism — therefore, it helps you shed fat fast.
What exercises are effective for a woman to lose weight?
Losing weight is not the same for everyone — your gender, genetics, and lifestyle play a significant role in your weight loss journey. A good program for losing weight should include high-intensity exercises to burn calories and a low-calorie diet. Here are six movements you can do to lose weight —
- Dumbbell Push
- Y to T raise
What is the best morning workout routine?
For any morning person, a quick workout in the morning is without any doubt the best way to start a day.
A good morning workout routine should be quick and effective. If you’re ready to become a morning workout person, give this following morning workout routine a shot.
Warmup: Stretch your muscles and get your heart rate up
Exercise 1: Hollow Body Hold
Exercise 2: Glute Bridge
Exercise 3: Reverse Oblique Crunch
Exercise 4: Plank with Shoulder Taps
Exercise 5: Reverse Crunch
Exercise 6: Squat
Exercise 7: Lateral Lunge
Exercise 8: Inchworm Push-up
Do the eight exercises for 10-12 repetitions and repeat 3-4 times.
How can I get toned in 10 days?
Fast weight loss is not only achievable, but it is sometimes easier as long as you set realistic goals for your body. To get your body toned and shed off a few extra pounds, all you need is an effective workout routine along with a low-calorie diet.
Here is a 10-minute workout that will get your body toned in 10 days.
- Spiderman push up
- Bulgarian split squat
- Single leg glute bridge
- Oblique crunch
Perform each exercise for 25 reps and repeat five times.
What Type of Diet Should I Follow When Doing Home Exercises for Weight Loss?
When doing home exercises for weight loss, the most important factor to consider is what type of diet you follow. Eating a healthy, balanced diet that contains a variety of vegetables, fruits, vegetables and lean proteins is essential for any successful weight loss program.
You should also focus on avoiding processed foods, sugary drinks, and high-calorie snacks. Eating a healthy diet and getting regular physical activity will help you to lose weight and keep it off over time.