Staying fit and healthy entails more than working large muscles like the legs, triceps, biceps, and core muscles. Therefore, incorporating workout accessories that isolate and work smaller muscles is essential to crushing your fitness goals.
The slam ball is one such accessory. Using it for simple throw movements like overhead slams, lateral throws, and chest passes helps activate the shoulders, hamstrings, quads, glutes, and upper back.
However, not all slam balls are made equal. Second, slam ball sets have varying weights, sizes, and materials, affecting their performance. Therefore, below are the best slam balls for high-impact throwing exercises that improve your strength and stability via a full-body workout.
- Best Slam Ball Overall: Yes4All Treaded Small Ball For Strength, Power, and Crossfit Workouts (10-40 lbs)
- Runner Up Best Slam Ball: BalanceFrom Weighted Slam Ball/ Wall Ball (8-30 lbs)
- Best Slam Ball On A Budget: Rage Fitness Weighted Slam Ball/ Wall Ball For Cross Training and Cross Training (10-40 lbs)
- Best For Durability: TRX Easy-Grip Training Slam Ball With Durable Treaded Rubber Shell (6-40 lbs)
- Best Value For Money: Day 1 Fitness Weighted Slam Ball/ Bounce Medicine Ball For High-intensity Exercise, Functional Strength Training & Cardio (15-50lbs)
- Best For Variety: ProsourceFit Slam Medicine Balls with Smooth-textured Grip Tread For Crossfit, Strength, and Conditioning Exercises (5-50 lbs)
- Best For Grip-friendly Options: JFIT Deadweight Slam Ball For Strength And Conditioning WODs
1. Best Slam Ball Overall: Yes4All Treaded Slam Ball For Strength, Power, and Crossfit Workouts (10-40 lbs)
Image Source: Pixabay.com
The Yes4All Slam ball is a high-quality home gym addition ideal for multiple exercises. It is a versatile fitness accessory that accommodates strenuous activities, including CrossFit and conditioning workouts, wood chops, Russian twists, and general athletic exercises.
Besides slam ball exercises, the ball doubles as a high-density medicine exercise ball, ideal for medical ball exercises. It has superb structural features that enhance its efficiency, safety, and durability, as highlighted below.
- The ball features an iron sand core to weigh it down and absorb the kinetic energy impact generated when you throw the ball. The weighted iron sand core enhances the ball’s firmness and prevents bouncing and rolling.
- The weighted slam ball features a polyvinyl chloride shell made via rotational molding. Rotational molding is a thermoplastic molding process ideal for constructing durable spherical molds.
The method facilitates multiple structural advantages, including consistent mold wall thickness, high stability, and high-quality finishes. Molds constructed via rotational molding, like this slam ball, have zero pinch-off seams/ weld lines. Therefore, the ball can withstand repeated impact from everyday ball slams.
- The slam ball features a grooved/ textured hard rubber external shell to help you maintain a firm grip, despite sweaty palms. You can choose from three textured patterns and settle on the one with the most comfortable grip.
The fitness ball is ideal for multiple exercises, including the jackknife, squat and reach, med ball slams, push-ups, and the between-knees crunch. CrossFit slam ball exercises elevate the heart rate, burn calories, build muscle, and enhance balance and hand-eye coordination.
30-day return policy
Zero noise from impact
Sturdy, durable construction
Doubles as a medical slam ball
Available in six different weight ranges and five color options
Exclusively for adult use
Image Source: Pixabay.com
2. Runner Up Best Slam Ball: BalanceFrom Weighted Slam Ball/ Wall Ball (8-30 lbs)
The BalanceFrom brand is the go-to for fitness enthusiasts shopping for high-quality equipment, and this slam ball is no different. It is a versatile workout gear, functioning as a slam ball, wallball, and medicine ball, all rolled up in one. Below is an overview of the multi-ball’s outstanding structural and functional features.
- It features a durable rubber soft external shell with dual texture for a secure grip; a dual-texture grip facilitates maximum friction for enhanced control. However, the ball is best for two-hand exercises rather than single-hand ones.
- The slam ball features tiny beads within its core that function as dead weight, helping to keep it from rolling. The weighted material feels balanced, keeping the ball steady throughout your workout.
- It features high-quality synthetic leather with tight double stitching on the exterior to hold everything together. You can slam it on hard pavement or a spongy yoga mat and get consistent performance from both surfaces.
The ball is ideal for slam ball CrossFit exercises, including slam ball, throws, and slam ball carry that activates cardio, strength, and explosive power, helping to build core and muscle strength. Besides CrossFit slam balls, you can use this ball for other functional exercises, including overhead, kneeling, standing, chest, and rotational tosses.
Affordability was among BalanceFrom’s priorities because this versatile ball costs almost half as much as slam balls with similar specifications. The ball is available in eight weights and color options to suit diverse consumer needs.
100% satisfaction support
Versatile, functioning as three different exercise balls in one
You may experience a slight shift in movement, but not enough to alter the exercise flow
Image Source: Pexels.com
3. Best Slam Ball on a Budget: Rage Fitness Weighted Slam Ball/ Wall Ball For Cross Training and Cross Training (10-40 lbs)
If you are a fitness enthusiast who prefers working out with fitness products made in the USA, this slam ball is right up your alley. Rage Fitness is a popular American fitness brand with a full line of multi-functional fitness equipment, including this slam ball.
The brand utilizes top-notch technology to create outstanding, safe, and effective gear. Below is an overview of the Rage Fitness slam ball’s impressive specifications.
- The ball’s core features sand deadweight to prevent it from bouncing and rolling with each slam. The deadweight sand provides the balance necessary for efficient workout sessions. However, despite its no-bounce design, it is inflatable and features an air valve that releases pressure, preventing bursting.
The inflation property may cause this slam ball to lose its perfectly spherical shape from time to time. Although it still functions effectively while slightly flattened, you can correct the purely cosmetic issue by inflating the slam ball via the integrated valve using a standard ball inflation needle.
- The sturdy slam ball features a heavy-duty rubber shell that is ultra-durable with a textured exterior for a high-quality grip.
- Rage Fitness submits all products in its product line to rigorous testing, and this slam ball is high endurance impact-approved. Therefore, it remains sturdy despite everyday manhandling.
The ball is available in four weights to suit your desired slam ball workout. Also, the manufacturer offers a one-year warranty exclusively on manufacturing defects.
Extensive testing for high-impact and endurance
Made in the USA
No pungent rubber smell
Several delayed delivery complaints
Image Source: Unsplash.com
4. Best for Durability: TRX Easy-Grip Training Slam Ball With Durable Treaded Rubber Shell (6-40 lbs)
The TRX easy-grip slam ball is yet another high-quality fitness accessory by a reputable American brand worth adding to your home gym. It features outstanding specifications that make it worth being at the core of your workout routine. Below is a breakdown of the TRX Easy-Grip slam ball and why it stands out from the competition.
- As the name suggests, the slam ball features a fantastic grip thanks to its sturdy outer shell. It has a heavy-duty, durable rubber shell with a textured surface to generate the friction necessary for a firm grip.
- Despite being grippy, the tread pattern is comfortable and does not cut into the palms. Also, although the outer shell features rubber construction, it is latex-free. Hence, it is safer for fitness enthusiasts with a high susceptibility to anaphylactic latex allergies that may manifest as contact dermatitis.
- The slam ball features a sand weight composition to facilitate the dead bounce, which is synonymous with slam balls. The sand component prevents the ball from bouncing or rolling by absorbing the dead bounce impact.
The ball is available in five weight variations, all accurately weighted and balanced. Its sturdy outer shell means you get a consistent performance regardless of whether you use the slam ball on textured concrete or carpeted flooring. Moreover, the airtight slam ball is ideal for water exercises.
However, you may experience a weight shift when using the lighter TRX easy-grip slam balls, but this should be no cause for concern. All slam balls have a minute degree of weight shift. Also, a weight shift indicates that it is time to challenge yourself and consider slamming a slightly heavier slam ball to build strength and enhance cardio workouts.
One-year manufacturer’s warranty (on initial purchaser only)
No lingering rubber smell
Made in the USA
A few complaints about the textures surface being somewhat rough
Image Source: Pixabay.com
5. Best Value for Money: Day 1 Fitness Weighted Slam Ball/ Bounce Medicine Ball For High-intensity Exercise, Functional Strength Training & Cardio (15-50lbs)
The Day 1 Fitness brand’s primary goal is to sustain a lasting transformation in your fitness journey. Therefore, it produces high-quality slam balls to help you crush your fitness goals. Below is an overview of why the Day 1 Fitness weighted slam ball is the ideal training partner to complete your home gym and enhance your workouts.
- The ball features a sturdy outer shell crafted from robust plastic to absorb bounce impact while enduring the toughest slam against the ground and walls. Harder slam ball throws facilitate a higher calorie burn.
Therefore, Day 1 Fitness recommends replacing other weighted workout accessories like dumbbells and kettlebells with this slam ball. Moreover, you can use the slam ball to complement your sit-ups, push-ups, and squats by adding the slam ball’s weight to create a more challenging resistance.
- The versatile slam ball is ideal for any fitness journey stage, from beginner to elite. You can expound on the above and explore more slam ball and medical ball workout tips in the complimentary Day 1 Fitness Guide, downloadable with each purchase.
- Besides the formidable, heavy-duty construction, the slam ball’s exterior is also grip-friendly. Also, its core features sand that functions as a deadweight to prevent bouncing and rolling.
You may notice a slight slush while slamming the ball; this does not mean that the slam ball is out of balance. The slush is core to the slam ball’s functionality, forcing you to adjust movement on the fly, activating different muscle groups. Although this slam ball is durable, the manufacturer recommends slamming away from the slam area since this is the most vulnerable portion of the ball to extend its shelf life.
Designed and made in the USA
An assortment of weight variations is available
30-day Amazon guarantee
Complimentary fitness guide included
A few complaints that the non-treaded shell is somewhat slippery when your palms sweat
No manufacturer warranty, although they recommend contacting them via email for tailored solutions.
Image Source: Unsplash.com
6. Best for Variety: ProsourceFit Slam Medicine Balls with Smooth-textured Grip Tread For Crossfit, Strength, and Conditioning Exercises (5-50 lbs)
ProsourceFit is a household name popular for crafting outstanding strength and resistance training, performance, and muscle recovery equipment. The ProsourceFit slam medicine ball is among its premium-grade creations, and true to the brand’s history, it does not disappoint.
- It features a robust PVC shell weighted with sand to prevent bouncing and rolling while you perform slam exercises. Besides the PVC shell, the versatile weighted accessory is available in two anti-slip grip options, the classical grip and the treaded ultra-grip.
- The classical grip has a subtly-textured shell, while the ultra-grip features a treaded, water-resistant exterior surface. Therefore, you can choose the amount of grip that is most comfortable for your palm.
ProscourceFit’s primary goal is to facilitate dynamic workouts for overall conditioning. It offers a limited lifetime liability on this slam ball.
2 non-slip grip options
Limited lifetime warranty
10 weight variations available
Great price point
One or two complaints about the textured grip ball being somewhat rough
7. Best for Grip-friendly Options: JFIT Deadweight Slam Ball For Strength And Conditioning WODs
The JFIT brand is a leader in innovations and fitness product variety that enhances cross-training by boosting aerobic capacity. Therefore, it engineered this slam ball for precision and durability. The JFIT deadweight slam ball is the object of perfection realized after ten redesign attempts geared toward achieving ultimate precision.
- It features a sturdy PVC/vinyl outer shell weighted with sand to prevent bouncing. Moreover, it features a grip-friendly exterior to prevent slipping. You can choose from various grip options, including the classic, treated, soft, and heavy-duty treads.
- The versatile slam ball facilitates multiple workouts, including rotational ab work, chest presses, and passes. It is available in multiple weight options.
Designed in the USA
30-day Amazon return warranty
Noisy when slammed against hard surfaces
Below is a quick comparison of our top picks for slam balls for 2023-
Yes4All Treaded Small Ball for Strength, Power, and Crossfit Workouts (10-40 lbs)
BalanceFrom Weighted Slam Ball/ Wall Ball (8-30 lbs)
Rage Fitness Weighted Slam Ball/ Wall Ball for Cross Training and Cross Training (10-40 lbs)
TRX Easy-Grip Training Slam Ball with Durable Treaded Rubber Shell (6-40 lbs)
Day 1 Fitness Weighted Slam Ball/ Bounce Medicine Ball for High-intensity Exercise, Functional Strength Training & Cardio (15-50lbs)
30-day Amazon guarantee
ProsourceFit Slam Medicine Balls with Smooth-textured Grip Tread for Crossfit, Strength, and Conditioning Exercises (5-50 lbs)
Limited Life Warranty
JFIT Deadweight Slam Ball for Strength and Conditioning WODs
30-day Amazon return warranty
Why Buy a Slam Ball?
What is a slam ball, and what is the difference between a medicine ball and a slam ball? A slam ball is a heavy-duty ball designed for throwing or slamming against the ground. It facilitates a full-body workout by utilizing explosive strength.
Popular exercises where you can incorporate slam balls include overhead slams, lateral throws, and chest passes. Moreover, slam balls can also complement or intensify squats and lunges.
Onto medicine ball VS slam ball, medicine balls are larger than slam balls and are unideal for slamming. They lack the impact absorption mechanism in a slam ball and are likely to cause accidents when slammed. Below are reasons you should consider purchasing a slam ball.
- Enhanced mobility: Slam balls activate more muscles than most weighted fitness gear, and repeated exercises using the slam balls increases your mobility.
- Versatility: You can incorporate slam balls into numerous exercises, including CrossFit, strength training, and conditioning workouts.
- Enhanced functional power: Slam balls enhance hand-eye coordination and stability.
Image Source: Pexels.com
Slam Ball Buyers’ Guide
Consider the Following specifications when purchasing a slam ball.
A slam ball with a smaller diameter gives you a better grip and control of movement.
Slam balls feature different materials, including vinyl, PVC, leather, and galvanized rubber. The material influences the balls, finish, and durability, so choose the sturdiest material.
Skill Level/Intended Use
Lighter slam balls are ideal for cardo-centric workouts, while heavier balls are ideal for strengthening and conditioning exercises. Also, consider starting on the lower side of the slam ball weight spectrum if you are new to fitness.
Slam balls may feature a subtle classic or textured grip, the most comfortable grip for you.
Consumer reviews give you first-hand accounts of a specified product or a brand’s customer service. Therefore, only purchase slam bells with positive reviews, factoring product quality, durability, brand return policies, and delivery timelines.
Slam balls are versatile and effective weighted accessories worth adding to your workout routine. Consider the top picks above when purchasing a slam ball to add to your home gym to get a bang for your buck.
Steve (Qualfied Personal Trainer and Nutritionist)
Steve Theunissen has qualified from the International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA) and is a certified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist. He has over 30 years experience in fitness and nutrition and currently working with famous fitness professionals. He is currently living in New Zealand with is wife and daughter.